Untying the Knot - Getting your Divorce or Dissolution of Marriage

Updated: Aug 23

I received a distraught phone call recently from Ramona. It was Wednesday and she was due to get married on Saturday. The one hitch to her getting hitched? Her husband-to-be, Ian, was still married to his ex and hadn’t got his divorce papers into the Court on time. “Can an urgent divorce be done?” pleaded Ramona, “We've got the caterer and 100 guests coming!”.

Getting a divorce is relatively straightforward in New Zealand and you don’t need a lawyer to get one. However, there are some things you need to be aware of.

The legal term in New Zealand for a divorce is a “dissolution”. To bring your legal marriage or civil union to an end, you need to obtain a dissolution order from the Family Court. The dissolution brings your marriage or civil union to a legal end so that you are no longer married to one another and are each free to remarry. The dissolution does not resolve issues to do with your children or your property and finances.

While it is a relatively simple process, you don’t want to put the process off. It can take some time to get all the paperwork together and to be considered by the Court. If there are Court backlogs, this may make things slower. Furthermore, once the Court decides it is appropriate to make an order, the order usually won’t come into effect until one month after the order is made. You will be legally married until then.

However, you can’t jump on ahead too soon - you can only apply for a dissolution order if you have been separated for 2 years. You don’t need to have been living apart in order to be separated. Some of our clients decide to end their marriage but keep living in the same house until they sort out their finances. Once you have been separated for at least two years, it will be very difficult for the dissolution application to be defended.

You can get the application forms for a dissolution order from the Ministry of Justice. You will need your original marriage or civil union certificate or a certified copy of it. If you have one, you should also attach a copy of your separation agreement. When you take your application to the Court, you will need to pay a filing fee of $211.50.

The simplest way to apply is jointly – you both make the application. If you both agree to the dissolution order being made, you can indicate on the application that you don’t require a court hearing. If you do this, you won’t have to appear before a Judge – a Registrar will consider the application and you won’t need to be present at Court. However, if things are urgent and you need an order made in time for one of you to remarry, you can indicate in your application that you both agree and ask for a hearing before a Judge. You will both need to go to the hearing to confirm your agreement to the order and the Judge can make an order that immediately takes effect. However, bear in mind there can be delays in getting a hearing before a Judge and so talk with the Court about which would be the quicker process!

If you cannot make a joint application, you will need to make the application yourself and then have the application given to the other person. You will need to arrange someone to serve the application personally on the other person. Sometimes, you can pay a private investigator or service agent to do this. The person who completes service (gives the application to the other person) will have to provide an affidavit to the Court to confirm that service took place. If the other person is difficult to locate, you will have to ask the Court for special directions that let you serve the other person in some other way, such as by email, advertisement or through another person.

While the process is relatively straightforward, it did little to help Ramona with her wedding coming up in a few days. All was not lost, the caterers were not cancelled and a ceremony was held but, after Ian's dissolution finally came through, they had to make a trip to arrange another trip to the Registry office to be legally married.

Untying the knot and need help untangling everything? We'd love to chat so book a free, initial 15 minute consultation with us now.

Names and any identifying information have been altered to protect the privacy of individuals. The information in this blog is current at 30 July 2021. The information in this blog is general, educative information only. As such, it should not be relied on in place of getting your own legal advice.